today was the day for max's very first wrestling tournament. i think darric and i were more nervous than he was.
we arrived at cimmaron memorial high school at 8:00, waited in line with dave and chase to get in, had max throw on his shoes to go warm up with his team, then climbed the bleachers more than half way up to find an empty row. the bertrands came to help us cheer on max. and christi and dave's mom came to help cheer on chase.
at 9:15 the tournament started. there were 6 matches going on at once on the mats. max was second to go out. the boy he went up against was the only other 8 year old that was actually pretty good. all of the other ones have lost several matches or today was their first time too. max ended up losing his first match, won his second and lost his third.
dave had gone down on the mat with him because he had a coaches wristband. darric was still too gimpy to go down there. he said max got a little emotional after he won the second match, i think it had a lot to do with the fact that he could hardly breath by the time it was over. and i think that kind of scared him for his third match too.
the ride home wasn't much fun for max. he got to listen to his dad lecture the entire way. ;) his dad told him on the way there that he didn't care if he won or lost, as long as he tried his hardest. he clearly didn't try his hardest, or he would have taken everyone right down and pinned them. but, oh well, we were both happy that he got out there, in front of the huge crowd of people. and that he stayed out there and finished each match.
• before the tournament started there was an older guy cleaning the mats. every time someone would get on the mat, he would yell at them to get off. kevin randleman happened to be standing on the mat at one point and got yelled at. darric and i thought it was so funny when he turned himself around and stared down the old man for at least a minute.
• chase ended up getting 3rd place.
• max looked so handsome in his monster wrestling gear, especially when he had his hoodie on.
• jayce is such a good cousin to max. he told him "don't be the banana, be the monkey" and tried to feed some anger into him by touching his pointy finger to his arm.
• we got out of there around 1 pm. and we now know what we have to look forward to most weekends for the next several months.
• it was such a good feeling seeing those coaches out there cheering max on.