this year max dressed up as mordeci from the regular show. no one, but our family, knew who he was. madison and savannah both dressed up as merida. grandma carter made their dresses, including the bags for the arrows that i made out of dowels and felt. gabi was a beautiful snow white. kenzie couldn't decide on a costume.
THE PHOTOS I DIDN'T TAKE:
• wrapping madi's hair with a trimmed off pair of kenzie's nylons because she couldn't find her wig cap.
• chowing down on french dip sandwiches (on jesse's homemade french bread rolls), jude's funeral potatoes and rice krispies and my spinach dip.
• max and madi carrying the big plastic halloween bags we've used for several years now.
• the man in his drive way with an ember flickering grill on one side of him and a bowl of candy on the other side and telling the kids "don't worry, it won't get you"
• the man with a beer sitting indian style on the walkway to the door, that got up, went next door to his house, grabbed his camera and said "gather together girls and let me get a picture". jesse quickly told him NO and he said "i understand".
• the house that looked lit up but didn't have a porch light on and the jerk that opened the door and loudly explained that his porch light is not on and that is the universal sign that he does not have candy.
• michael (robin's roommate's kid) falling several times and spilling his bucket of candy each time. the first time it happened, darric said "i have a feeling this won't be the last time we see this show". we weren't aware he has spina bifida.
• kenzie and bryan glowing from all the glow sticks they had on.
• us throwing away the candy the kids collected. there were only a couple handfuls of bite-sized treats, but we weren't taking any chances, thanks to the weirdos we dealt with that night.
• stopping at circle k for polar pops for the adults and treats for the kids.
• coming back to our house and watching some of our old home videos. and some of the worst movie ever... the talking cat. the beach family had us watch bits of it to see how lame it was. very lame indeed.
* those in attendance... us five, bryan, the beach family and grandma carter (grandpa carter was watching the bertrand's dogs while they were in lake tahoe.)